Selection of proper shipping options for your kit is critical. If you are shipping your kit in the summer months or in a hotter climate, we recommend selecting the Cold Pack Upgrade for your kits at the final checkout page . Temperatures too high can kill your kit in transit (90-100F). Make sure to take the time to consider the climate you will be shipping to when ordering your kit.
Oyster /Gold /Lion's Mane / Chestnut Mushroom Kit Instructions
Your mushroom kit will arrive ready to fruit, so please follow instructions carefully to ensure success!
Storing Your Kit:
If you’re unable to give your mushroom kit the attention it needs right away, you can store it for 3-4 weeks in your refrigerator.
Remember: your kit contains a living organism and it can die if you neglect it too long.
Fruiting Your Kit:
1. Place your block in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Remove block after 24 hours and proceed to step 2.
2. Set your bag on a dinner plate, tray or in a shallow plastic. Set the bag somewhere you will see it often like the kitchen, laundry
room or bathroom.
3. Make 1 long slit on any side of the mushroom block that touches the bag.
4. Keeping the bag closed, fold down the top of the bag and secure it tightly against the block with tape or a rubber band. **If you
received your kit in the mail, your bag is already properly folded; just secure with rubber band or tape.**
5. Take a plastic grocery bag and poke slits all over the bag, 5-10. Mist the block thoroughly and place the bag over the block.
This will act as a humidity tent for your mushrooms. Mist with water at least 3-4 times a day to keep the block damp.
6. Wait for the mushrooms to grow! This usually takes about 2-3 weeks (4-5 weeks for chestnut mushrooms.)
7. Once the mushrooms begin “pinning” or “sprouting” from the block, humidity is critical. They are most susceptible to drying out
at this stage so make sure to stay on top of your misting schedule.
8. Clusters of mushrooms will begin to form from the slits. To harvest, twist and pull the cluster gently from the block.
9. After the first harvest keep spraying 3-4 times daily and another flush of mushrooms will eventually grow out of the slits in a
Humidity: High humidity is essential for growing healthy mushrooms. Make sure you keep the mushroom block misted. Mushrooms will
not grow in a dry environment.
Light: Light quality is important and commonly overlooked. The best possible lighting is indirect natural light. You can also use
fluorescent or LED lights.
Fresh Air and Temperature: The mushroom mycelium in your bag is alive! It needs to breathe oxygen and exhale CO2 to survive.
Cutting slits in your bag helps accomplish this. The ideal temperature is anywhere from 55-75F(55-65°F. for Chestnut)
Parting Notes: Once your mushroom block starts producing, it will be at the peak of its production for the first 2 months. Eventually,
though, your block will contaminate. This is normal. You may observe green or black mold, similar to what you would see on moldy
cheese or bread. Once this happens, simply place it outside in indirect sunlight and keep it watered. It may continue to produce more
We produce high quality, rigorously tested mushroom fruiting blocks. A portion of each and every lot is tested under highly controlled, consistent growing conditions on our commercial mushroom farm prior to selling them. Because of our stringent quality testing procedures, we guarantee our grow kits to be productive at the time of shipping when they leave our facility. It is up to you to select the appropriate shipping options for your climate (ie. opting for the cold pack up grade if necessary). Once your kit arrives, it is up to you to provide the proper growing conditions for your kit. For these reasons, we cannot offer returns or refunds on mushroom grow kits. If your kit arrives destroyed/damaged or is stolen/lost we can provide a replacement under these circumstances.
Good luck and happy shrooming!
Have more questions? Visit our F.A.Q page at the link below