Your kit is ALIVE and must be opened immediately upon arrival.
Shiitake Mushroom Kit Instructions
Your mushroom kit will arrive ready to fruit, so please follow instructions carefully to ensure success!
Storing Your Kit:
If you’re unable to give your mushroom kit the attention it needs right away, you can store it for 3-4 weeks in your refrigerator.
Remember: your kit contains a living organism and it can die if you neglect it too long.
Fruiting Your Bag:
1. Place your block in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Remove block after 24 hours and proceed to step 2.
2. Using a pair of scissors or a knife, completely remove the plastic bag from the block.
3. Rinse the block thoroughly with cold water.
4. Set the block on an elevated surface (for example: a terracotta pot or cookie cooling rack). If the bottom of the block
is on a solid surface it will grow mold. Set the bag somewhere you will see it often like the kitchen, laundry room or
5. Take a plastic grocery bag and poke slits all over the bag (5-10 slits). Mist the block thoroughly and place the bag
over the block. This will act as a humidity tent for your mushrooms. Mist with water inside your humidity tent at least
3-4 times a day to keep the block damp.
6. Wait for the mushrooms to grow! This usually takes about 2-3 weeks.
7. Once the mushrooms begin “pinning” or “sprouting” from the block, humidity is critical. They are most susceptible to
drying out at this stage so make sure to stay on top of your misting schedule.
8. Harvest time! Once the mushrooms are fully mature (caps fully open) twist or cut them free from the block at the base
of the stem. Our shiitake kits usually put off one large flush. Second flushing is not likely. However here are some
tips for getting more out of your kit:
A. Submerge your block in cool water for 5-6 hours.
B. Once you remove your block from the water, thoroughly drain your block and place in the refrigerator for 24
C. After 24 hours, remove your block and resume a normal misting schedule. This may help jumpstart your block to
Humidity: High humidity is essential for growing healthy mushrooms. Make sure you keep the mushroom block misted.
Mushrooms will not grow in a dry environment.
Light: Light quality is important and commonly overlooked. The best possible lighting is indirect natural light. You can also use
fluorescent or LED lights.
Fresh Air and Temperature: The mushroom mycelium in your bag is alive! It needs to breathe oxygen and exhale CO2 to
survive. Cutting slits in your bag helps accomplish this. The ideal temperature is anywhere from 55-75°F.
Parting Notes: Once your mushroom block starts producing, it will be at the peak of its production for the first 2 months.
Eventually, though, your block will contaminate. This is normal. You may observe green or black mold, similar to what you
would see on moldy cheese or bread. Once this happens, simply place it outside in indirect sunlight and keep it watered. It
may continue to produce more mushrooms.
We produce high quality, rigorously tested mushroom fruiting blocks. A portion of each and every lot is tested under highly controlled, consistent growing conditions on our commercial mushroom farm prior to selling them. Because of our stringent quality testing procedures, we guarantee our grow kits to be productive at the time of shipping when they leave our facility. Once your kit arrives, it is up to you to provide the proper growing conditions for your kit. For these reasons, we cannot offer returns or refunds on mushroom grow kits. If your kit arrives destroyed/damaged or is stolen/lost we can provide a replacement under these circumstances.
Good luck and happy shrooming!
Have more questions? Visit our F.A.Q page at the link below